[Healeys] Fx4D = Bighealey?

John Harper ah at jharper.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 2 07:08:54 MST 2010

Alan

What one has to bear in mind here was that for the introduction of the
A90 Westminster almost all the original Austin designed parts were
modified. Mostly they were beefed up. One has to remember that most
parts were first introduced on the A40 and then used on the much heavier
and more powerful A70 and A90 Atlantic. As items such as the suspension
was destined for larger cars and medium size commercial vehicles there
was a real need for strengthening.

So we have the BN1 with the Austin A40 etc. suspension and the BN2 on,
with the BMC Westminster stronger items. This was the time that for
example the bottom links were cranked up and UNF threads introduced.
There was however the strange period when later BN1s had the Austin
front suspension and the BMC rear axle.

The FX4 Taxi used the BMC units and just as an example the bottom front
spring pan will fit the early BN1's but is made of thicker material. One
example of strengthening. Another example was the rear hubs. Using these
on early BN1s was pushing the strength almost to the limit. The
replacement on the BN2 and onwards was much heavier and if my memory
serves me correctly was last used on a large delivery van after A-H
production has ceased.

Having said all this it is important not to get the two timeframes
muddled up. Many parts look very similar until one gets them close
together or tries to fit them.

Regards

--
John Harper