[Healeys] Clutch question

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon Aug 30 21:13:00 MDT 2010

Have someone pump the pedal while you watch the fluid level in the
reservoir.  If it goes up when the pedal goes down the fluid
replenishment seal is shot.  If not, it's either the master or slave
seal leaking, or the flex line is ballooning out (will probably have to
watch it from underneath--obviously if it's swelling you'll have to
replace it).

If the cylinders are aluminum--if original they will be--you should not
hone them.  The barrels are hardened and if you hone you'll destroy the
hardened surface.  If they're not pitted you can reuse them, but if
there's any doubt replace them while you've got them out.

This is not a terrible job; if you get stuck ask the List--there are
some real pros on here.  The worst job is the slave cyl--you'll have to
get at it from underneath or remove the transmission tunnel.   Be very
careful not to mangle or crossthread the fittings.  Best to use flare
nut wrenches if you have them.

bs

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net