[Healeys] Aluminum Radiator / Overheating

Chris Dimmock austin.healey at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 23:27:02 MDT 2010

Totally agree with Richard.
My engine (block, head, sump) were all stripped by Redistrip. All
welch plugs and oil gallery plugs were punched out. Oil galleries were
tapped, and removeable plugs fitted.
The crap in the block, looking through the welch plug holes, is pretty
obvious. The first big hint is if you can't see between each bore. Ie
they aren't separate - they should be, so coolant can flow around the
bores.
When the block returned from redistrip, the water galleries were
around 2 inches deeper than when we sent it, as measured by putting a
piece of wire down inside the welch plug holes, and there was a gap
between the bores, and the water gallery was all fresh shiny cast iron.
The redistrip process only removes the crap, and doesn't remove metal.
I also painted the inside of the block (inside the tapper covers,
inside the timing chain area, and entire underside where oil runs)
with red metal primer.
All my panels (including aluminium shrouds) were also stripped by
redistrip. It doesn't remove metal.
Chris
www.myaustinhealey.com

Sent from my iPhone