[Healeys] BN1 I want to drive it

Greg Lemon glemon at neb.rr.com
Fri Aug 27 21:58:25 MDT 2010

Alan, I have great respect for your knowledge of british cars and Healeys
and I sincerely mean that, but in this case I rather doubt there is a fuel
delivery problem, description of the issue is the car runs and accelerates
fine until you stick it in overdrive, my experience with fuel blockage from
sediment is that it cuts off the fuel over a time running, particularly if
running higher engine speeds, higher volumes of fuel causes the sediment to
rush to a restrictive point and then you don't have enough gas.

Kicking it into overdrive would not cause this problem immediately, it would
more likely manifest itself at sustained high speeds in direct top than if
shifting into O/D.

My money is on (can't remember John Harper?) whoever stated a high solenoid
draw or other issue with current draw when shifting into overdrive, causing
an immediate weak spark and the symptoms described. I would put the car on
jackstands, take the tunnel off and either test current draw on the solenoid
when in operation, or test by manually pulling the accuating lever and see
if it bogs when the electricals are not involved.

Greg Lemon