[Healeys] Polarizing a generator?

Ron Mitchell healeyron at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 26 16:08:10 MDT 2010

I recently had some catastrophic events with regard to the charging system on
my
AH 3000 MkII BN7.  I won't go into all the details but I'm now in a
position
that I have replaced the Battery twice in 4 weeks.  Once at Conclave
and once at
Encounter.  While in Maryland visiting my daughter I had a new
voltage regulator
and rebuilt generator installed only to have the battery go
dead on the way home
to Michigan.  I had to have the car Flat Bedded home the
last 365 miles (ouch).
What a pain in the wallet.

I have a rebuilt
generator that I installed now that I am home and after
installing it I went
to the Internet to find out how to properly Polarize the
Generator.  I found
the info on this Web Site
 http://starautoelectric.com/page25.php   and
followed the instructions which
resulted in the Generator charging properly
and finally turning out the idiot
light.  The generator that was installed at
great expense in Maryland was faulty
which resulted in the dead battery on
the road.

My question is this.  Moss has an instructional video on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPUfQtVEJGg    which tell us to Polarize the
generator at the Votage regulator by touching a wire between the "A" terminal
and the "F" terminal of the regulator. The Web Site above has the following
warning.  "Under no circumstances touch the "F" terminal or any other part of
the regulator or you could damage the regulator."

Who is right?

I followed
the instruction provided on the Web Site and the Generator works just
fine.
Ron Mitchell