[Healeys] Aluminum Rads

warthodson at aol.com warthodson at aol.com
Thu Aug 26 15:25:34 MDT 2010

 Gary,
I thought the original radiators were copper cores & fins with brass tanks,
not steel. Copper is more efficient than aluminum at heat transfer. As for
weight savings,
I was considering an aluminum radiator for for the weight savings for my BJ8
until I ask one of the suppliers how much their aluminum radiator weighted. I
don't recall the exact weights but the aluminum radiator was, much to my
surprise, only about 5 Lbs. lighter than the stock radiator which was not
enough savings to justify the high cost since I was not going to race the
car.
Gary Hodson

I'll probably get corrected by some metallurgist with an advanced degree in
hermodynamics, but my understanding is that aluminum is actually less
fficient at heat transfer than steel. However, because of the reduced weight,
lly rads are preferred in racing