[Healeys] Heat wrap vs. ceramic coating

Tadeusz Malkiewicz tadeusz.malkiewicz at plusnet.pl
Thu Aug 26 14:21:23 MDT 2010

Well, possible fuel dripping from overflowing carbs on the exhaust manifold.
Smelly and flammable too... It would get even more flammable if the fuel
dripping soaks the heat wrap...

Tadek
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2010 10:00 PM
To: Tadeusz Malkiewicz
Cc: healeys at autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Heat wrap vs. ceramic coating

re: "With the heads we have, where exhaust & inlet are on the same side of
the
engine I would not use heat wrap."

What's the reasoning here?

I checked the downpipes after a year or so of running with the wrap and they
seemed fine.

bs

--------------------------------
Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA

Hello all,

I have done some research on this and I found that the heat wrap has 2
drawbacks:
 - if you isolate your manifold and the down pipe continuously you may end
up with a burned pipe, as the heat that is traveling through the pipe has
nowhere to escape, in result heating the exhaust system to a point where it
may burn out. A solution is to wrap it intermittently, leaving gaps.
- the heat wrap (although flame retardant) may start burning.

Ceramic coating is better in both cases, although more expensive. Ceramic
coating may though look more original on your car if you choose the right
color..

There was an article comparing the two - I have it and will post as soon as
get back home.

With the heads we have, where exhaust & inlet are on the same side of the
engine I would not use heat wrap.

Best, Tadek