[Healeys] Aluminum Rads

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Thu Aug 26 12:55:25 MDT 2010

In a message dated 8/26/10 11:34:01 AM, healeys-request at autox.team.net
writes:

> While we seem to be on the topic of heat transfer, do any of you have
> experience with alloy radiators. Is there an advantage over the
> original? Do they cool better? Are they lighter or do they just look
> flash?
> cheers
> Pieter

I'll probably get corrected by some metallurgist with an advanced degree in
thermodynamics, but my understanding is that aluminum is actually less
efficient at heat transfer than steel. However, because of the reduced weight,
ally rads are preferred in racing (I have one in my MGA, but not in my
Healey) and you can use a bigger core at the same or less weight then with a
steel
rad (the core on my race car rad is about four inches thick and bigger in
area than the one in my Healey).
So, no efficiency improvement, in fact less efficient, but easier to
customize, bigger without increased weight, and flash.. definitely flash.
G.