[Healeys] Venting oil through rear air filter

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Tue Aug 24 17:46:59 MDT 2010

Tom,

Excess pressure in crankcase could be the problem or, possibly, you have too much oil being squirted around inside the valve cover, causing the oil to be sucked into the rear carb.

bs

--------------------------------
Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA

Hi guys, I have an interesting issue where I seem to be venting excess oil out
of the rear carb air filter on my BJ8. The engine runs great and the oil
pressure is good but I seem to have excess oil dripping out of the air filter
and down onto the exhaust system. The oil levels are also correct, but I do
seem to use or loose about half a pint on a 200 mile trip.

I thought that perhaps that the air filter needed cleaning and that the engine
was breathing more out of the crank case than it should and sucking the oil
out. I've cleaned the filters but the problem remains. I think the next option
is to do a compression check to see if I have a ring problem where the crank
case is being pressurised or perhaps valve stem seals?

My gut feeling is that I'm going to have to pull the engine out eventually but
are there any other thoughts before I have to go this far?

Kindest Regards

Tom

1965 AH3000 MkIII BJ8
1960 MGA1600