[Healeys] Thermostat?

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Tue Aug 24 11:31:27 MDT 2010

Yes, one would.  Thatbs why it was such a disappointment that I saw no
change.
I had my engine rebuilt and thoroughly cleaned the coolant passages 11 years
ago.  The radiator is a stock replacement from Moss after their Chinese
6-bladed fan threw a blade through the header tank of the original radiator.
I have always used only distilled water and antifreeze since the engine
rebuild.  I have a radiator shroud that encloses the Texas Kooler fan except
at the bottom.  The stock air deflectors are in place, and I have an overflow
system installed.
I removed the temp gauge once and tested it in a pan of water boiling on the
kitchen stove, and found it reading 10 deg. too high.  I repositioned the
needle exactly between the two small dots at the 212 mark while the sensor was
still in the boiling water.  Afterwards, the gauge usually stayed between 190
and 200 in the hot part of the day during the summer until the last few years
when it looks like 200 to 212 is bnormalb.   The gauge never goes over
212.   The funny thing is, during the return from Conclave in San Diego the
gauge went to 212 and stayed there for four hours while motoring through the
California desert with ambient temp at 116 deg. F.   Why wouldnbt there be
some noticeable difference between that and the local temps of 95?

When I canbt stand it anymore, Ibll take the gauge out and test it again.
I was sure the sleeved thermostat would make a difference, but it didnbt and
all other things are the same.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry