[Healeys] carb oil

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 20:07:13 MDT 2010

I generally respect John Twist but I don't agree with him here.  All this
will do is slow the rise of the piston, making your mixture richer when you
accelerate, causing you to ruin your fuel mileage, especially if you have a
led foot.  If your car isn't hiccuping when you stomp on the gas, then there
is no reason to switch from 20wt to heavy gear oil.

The only wear that will happen where oil weight might make a difference is
with the dashpot dampers.  Since these things are easily replaced new,
you're better off getting new (matched) dampers and sticking with 20wt.

Incidentally, 90 wt gear oil is the same as 40 to 50 wt motor oil:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=55

<http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=55>
Alan