[Healeys] 2nd and 3rd gear 'hop'

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Aug 8 16:29:19 MDT 2010

Listers,

Was making a short trip around some local twisties and hills and noticed
that in 2nd and 3rd gear, when going from forward torque (engine torque)
to reverse torque (coasting, engine braking) the shift knob would click
and move slightly.  There's no hitch in the drivetrain, just the shifter
making a slight 'pop' and moving, in a different direction depending on
whether I'm accelerating or using the engine to slow; e.g. pulling up a
grade then lifting to coast at the crest.  This doesn't happen in fourth
gear, and I haven't noticed it in first.

Looking for a little help from the transmission gurus.  I'm guessing
worn layshaft, allowing some 'flex' between the laygear and the main
gear.  So far, this is an annoyance, but want to know if bad news may be
forthcoming.  Gearbox may have up to 90K miles since last rebuild, when
we replaced the layshaft.

TIA,
Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net