[Healeys] Upper trunnion question

Stephen Hutchings s.hutchings at rogers.com
Sun Aug 8 15:41:52 MDT 2010

OK, I'll admit I feel a bit silly asking this question, because
there's obviously something about this procedure I don't quite get. I
even put this job aside, and went on with a lot of other aspects of
the restoration first. But here I am...
When I did my wheel bearings, I understood how the shims were working
because I had to get a certain end float within a given torque wrench
setting...got it.
However, with the upper trunnion bearing, and king pin nut, I can
screw down the nut until it's too tight, and the trunnion can't move
freely, or stop just before that. I can't see how the shims change
this, as long as there's enough thread to over tighten. I hope this
conveys my misunderstanding clearly.
  I'm using the new roller bearings, and the nut is a locknut, rather
than the original castellated with pin. (Sorry Rich!)
Thanks for your indulgence...I've been accused of over-thinking things before!

Stephen, BJ8