[Healeys] BN1 gearbox help -- Success

Carr&Edwards scvc70 at epix.net
Fri Aug 6 14:27:15 MDT 2010

Success at last!  For those of you who offered suggestions (and anyone else
out there who might someday be faced with the sounds-so-simple task of
tapping out the pin that holds the shifter socket lever to its shaft), this
is what worked:

--remove all the bolts holding both the shifter control box body [Moss cat.
illus. #40] and the side cover [#36] to the gearbox
--let both pivot downward on the shifter cross shaft [#70], exposing the
shifter gate [#90]; remove this part
--tilt the shaft and remove the entire assembly

Once we did that, we rested the shaft on an anvil, with the pin over one of
the holes, and gave the pin a smack with a hammer.  The pin came right
out--probably since the shaft couldn't move and absorb some of the shock of
the blow, as it had when it was still on the gearbox.

The pin isn't round--I should have realized that from the beginning, since
nothing would have stopped it from turning when the nut was tightened!  It
was machined from a piece of cylindrical stock; threads on 1/3, and a flat
machined on the other 2/3, widest/deepest at the base of the threads, and
tapering up to nothing at the other end.  The shaft has a flat-bottomed
groove cut into it, so when the mut on the pin is tightened, the two flat
surfaces are drawn progressively tighter together.  Some DPO must have
cranked the nut up REALLY tight (there were signs that someone had been in
there before us).

All that to accomplish a simple one-sentence task in the service manual.  I
wonder how many more "simple" tasks will turn out to be anything but....

Thanks to all,
Sarah Carr
BN1 in PA