[Healeys] Checking out a gearbox

Carr&Edwards scvc70 at epix.net
Fri Aug 6 14:10:23 MDT 2010

Now that we were finally able to expose the gearbox innards, we know that the
gears all look good -- no broken or badly chipped teeth (only a very few
pinhead-size nicks), and the shaft turns smoothly, with no noise.  When we
drained the fluid, there were some tiny (pinpoint size) flecks of brass, but
no larger pieces.

Two questions:

1.)  Is there any way, short of installing the box in a car and driving it, to
tell whether the synchros are any good?

2.)  We can move the shift lever into the 3 forward gears without difficulty,
but not into reverse.  Is there any trick to doing this when the box is
sitting on the bench?

Once again, thanks!

Sarah Carr
BN1 in PA