[Healeys] As they were produced... ?

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Thu Aug 5 22:48:36 MDT 2010

In a message dated 8/5/10 6:43:57 PM, healeys-request at autox.team.net
writes:

> Each owner would theoretically probably call his own the best. However 5
> recent owners wouldn't know enough about their cars to tell whether what
> they examined was "right" or not. However, you say based on our 2010
> "rules"? You mean standards of what is expected today? Probably the fellow
> who had tweaked the obvious imperfections.
>
> Rich

Rich is got the right answer: Does anyone remember what the average number
of flaws and problems was on any car coming out of an English or American
factory in those days? Some got fixed at the end of the line, some got fixed
before sale, and a lot only got fixed when the owner returned to the dealer
to complain.

That's why, when we wrote the standards, we said that the ultimate standard
was "as the designers intended them to be built." We were very careful not
to say, "as they were built" in the day.

So, the owner who got the lucky car produced on Wednesday between morning
tea break and lunch when all of the work force was happy, and then had a good
dealer to work with to help him fix the things that didn't get fastened in
correctly, or were missed, or whatever, that's the one that would score the
highest on the concours inspection sheets.

Cheers
Gary