[Healeys] oscillatiing/chattering oil pressure gauge

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Aug 5 19:39:27 MDT 2010

Can only take SWAGs:

- oil pressure relief valve
- bypass valve in oil filter (have you recently changed the oil and filter?)
- something wrong in the oil pump (broken gear/vane)
- something in the pump drive (off the cam)
- blockage in the pickup tube causing cavitation

Before we started our BN2's engine after a rebuild, we spun the engine
over on the starter with the plugs out.  The oil pressure gauge would
pump up to 30psi or so, then drop below 20, then pump up, etc.  every
couple of seconds.  At speed, there's probably some pulsation in the oil
pressure but it happens quickly enough--and the air in the oil pressure
line probably absorbs the pulses--so you don't see it in normal
operation.  But, obviously, your problem is worse.

bs

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net