[Healeys] concours judging

Josef.Eckert at t-systems.com Josef.Eckert at t-systems.com
Thu Aug 5 01:02:56 MDT 2010

Frederich,
That's fully acceptable for me even I am a Concours nut. The Austin-Healeys I
own were such rotten that they needed a complete restoration to bring them
back on the road. So I did - and its in me I can't stop that - complete
Concours restorations ending up with cars looking better than they were as
new. That's my personal madness and I also stay to it.
On the other hand I own a 1950 Morris Minor Tourer were I did a very sensible
restoration of the mechanical parts. The body of this car was still good
enough to keep it and I just did minor necessary repairs. The engine,
drivetrain, brakes needed a full rebuild as car was originally delivered to
Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) and the 3 previous owners used the car intensively,
even with only two brake cylinders working. To say I tried to keep all the
("patina") traces of old age on the car.
Bringing back this car to the road was much more difficult, as you can't go to
dealers to get the spares you need, as they are no more available new. A spare
engine I have got from the Swiss army, as they were used in a tank as a
generator engine. But that`s a different story.

Josef Eckert
Konigswinter/Germany