[Healeys] Exhaust and Spring Question

Rick Swain rjswain at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 3 18:07:06 MDT 2010

I haven't been happy with the fit of the stainless tail pipes on my BN4.
They're apparently made by Bell which means they should fit. The build quality
is great but I've been messing with the pipes since the spring and nobody can
get them right. I'm thinking of going to side exit pipes and could get a shop
to fabricate a set for me but I'm wondering if anyone supplies them. I'm not
looking for big bore pipes to mate with a big bore muffler but rather the
smallish standard size pipes to mate with a standard muffler. Stainless
preferred but not necessary. I haven't been able to find a local muffler shop
that can bend Healey-size tailpipes.
Second question. Can anyone recommend a supplier of rear springs that will
last without losing their arch? I have about 20,000 miles on my springs and
the top of the rear wheel arches are 26" from the ground, about 1" to 1 1/2"
lower than I've read that pre BJ8s should be. Fronts sit at 27 1/2". I could
get the springs re-arched if I can find what they should be but the same thing
would probably happen again. I should get more than 20,000 miles out of a set
of rear springs shouldn't I?
Thanks
Rick'59 BN4