[Healeys] Oil Pressure

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Mon Aug 2 13:58:58 MDT 2010

Hi, Mark -
40 to 50 psi on the highway when the oil is hot is pretty good.  My BJ8 runs
at just below 40 on the gauge when hot, and has since the engine rebuild in
1999.  I now have 70,000 miles on the engine rebuild and the oil pressure is
the same as it was with a fresh engine.  At idle (1000 RPM), the pressure
when hot can drop down to 20 psi or even lower, with no problems.  I have
always used Castrol 20W-50 until recently, when I changed to Valvoline VR-1
Racing 20W-50 for the ZDDP content.  No change in pressure.  I also have a
screw-on filter adapter, but it is one of those antiques (1987) from Moss
that holds the filter at the same orientation as the original canister.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC USA