[Healeys] Engine condition

ggilliam at usol.com ggilliam at usol.com
Fri Apr 30 11:41:40 MDT 2010

Hey List,

 You may remember a couple weeks ago I asked for recommendations on
allowable cylinder and crank journal wear. A few of you replied with good
information.

 Upon further inspection of this BJ8 motor, I found that the top rings
were broken on #4, 5 & 6 pistons. There was no obvious orientation of ring
gaps, some pistons had 3 ring gaps in a line. The 2,3 & oil rings were
stuck on #5 piston. The journals on the crank were a bit grooved, with all
the grooves apparently in line with the oil holes.

 On the crank throws, #4 & 5 had what looked like restrictor inserts in
the oil delivery port, and on # 5 it looked like it was loose and caused
the grooves in the bearing shell...the most extensive of all.

 So I'm looking for any comment as to what is "normal" for a high mileage
Healey engine, or any other relevant information.

 I suppose I am also looking for a recommendation of a qualified Healey
engine machine shop in southern Michigan.

 Thanks in advance,

 Gordy