[Healeys] dead generator

Ron ron.kraimaat at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 14:43:53 MDT 2010

Hi,

Recently I joined this list, and now already I have a problem where I could do
with a little advise.
During the first roadtest this year with my '64 phase1 BJ8, I noticed the
Ignition warning light did not dim.

I got the service manual, and decided to start my investigations with the
first possible cause: the generator.
The generator is of the C.42 type with a small connector for the field (F) and
a big connector to the rotor (D).
I read in my manual and on the web, that I should get a reading on my
voltmeter by:
- disconnecting connecting the regulator wires from F and D
- connect F and D together with a piece of wire
- measure between these two connectors and ground (ground is positive in my
case) with a running engine.

So I did and could hardly measure any voltage. Most certainly nothing in the
12v range that is.
I examined the generator and dicovered that the brushes where totally worn.
One even exposing the copper wire, thus causing some damage on the collector.
I got new brushes, mounted them, tried again to measure and....... same
result: around 0V.

Desperate to get the car ready for a ride last Sunday (weather forcast was
very good and the first tour of the Healey Owners Club was planned), I managed
to get a new (rebuild) generator on Saterday. Bolted it on the engine,
measured the voltage: again 0V. Grrrrrrrrr.
I was told by the shop owner, there might be a small chance the generator
would not work because lying around for too long in stock.
I tried to magnitize the field with my regulated powersupply, then wired F and
D together, and started the engine: still no results. I gave up...Time for a
few beers.

I called the owner Monday for the procedure on getting the generator back to
live. He told me they do this by starting the engine, and holding a negative
wire for 1 or 2 secs to the F. That way the warninglight would dim and take
the car for a ride to make the magnetism 'permanent'.

I tried this procedure this evening (engine rev just over 1000 rpm) with the
same result........ None.
Do I have such bad luck that both generators are broken??? Strange thing is
that I could measure field resistance of about 4 ohms and rotor resistance of
approx 1 ohm, so that does not look like a dead generator to me.

I am totally lost here. Any advise is welcome.

thanks.
Ron Kraimaat
The Netherlands