[Healeys] Engine technicals

ggilliam at usol.com ggilliam at usol.com
Wed Apr 21 22:12:22 MDT 2010

For the engine experts:

 I am inspecting the "spare" BJ8 engine I have, and have questions
regarding the amount of wear considered acceptable for use without
machining. I realize there are no absolute values, just a generalized go,
no-go evaluation. I have no idea how many miles were on the engine before I
rec'd it. I also don't know it's service history, can't really see if it
has been rebuilt or reassembled, but some of the head studs were extremely
loose, mostly the first two on the front and rear ends, on the manifolds
side of the head.

 How much cylinder wear is acceptable in terms of bore oversize and
eccentricity?...there is very little scoring, some top end ridge.

Just for arguments sake, say there is .002" variation from spec. and .001
difference difference front to back and side to side, and the same
comparing top of the cyl and the bottom of travel. Would just a honing and
new rings be acceptable? I acknowledge that for max reliability, complete
machining and
rebuild is the way to go, but we can't always have everything
we want.

 What is considered too much wear or scoring?...I don't know how to
measure the scoring, perhaps just the drag the fingernail test? I see some
"ripple" on the one journal whose cap I have pulled, but don't notice any
wear on the bearing surface.

 As a side question, I see numbers stamped on the rod ends, such as
55...is this weight for balancing?

 Hope you can understand what I'm trying to explain and ask.

 Regards,

 Gordy