[Healeys] BJ8 timing is way off what do I do now?

warthodson at aol.com warthodson at aol.com
Mon Apr 19 12:16:52 MDT 2010

Check the basics first. Make sure you are coming up on the compression stroke,
both valves closed & not the exhaust stroke.  The spark occurs when the points
or Pertronix OPENS the circuit & the current stops flowing, not when it closes
& the current flows. Therefore, rotate the engine in the normal direction
(well before TDC, maybe 90 degrees BTDC) coming up on the compression stroke &
observe when the light goes OFF. That should occur at approximately 6-10
degrees before TDC. If not, adjust the distributor until it does. This assumes
the cam is timed correctly. Someone else can explain how to determine that.
BTW, Healeys are notoriously hard to start if the choke is not functioning as
designed/intended.
Gary Hodson