[Healeys] overdrive planetary alignment

Ed Woods fogbro1 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 19 09:15:17 MDT 2010

Healey List,

Here's what Nelson Riedel of Buckeye Triumphs wrote about my question:

Installing Epicyclic Gear: The sun gear can be installed in the planter
carrier with the planet gears in various positions.   If the gears are not in
the correct position, the sun gear shaft will be off center.    This would be
recognized when it was impossible to pass the main shaft through the sun gear,
the planet carrier and the unidirectional clutch. There are indexing dots
stamped into the  top of each of the planet gears.  Each gear was turned so
that the dot is on the outside and a line through the dot and the center of
the planet gear shaft also passed through the center of the planet carrier as
show in the left photo below.  The sun gear was inserted with the planet gears
aligned as indicated.  The dot alignment was verified after the sun gear was
in position.  The three dots didn't line up as indicated, so I did it over and
got it right.  The planet carrier with sun gear was then inserted into the
annulus.   The sun gear was rotated back and forth slightly to get the gears
to mesh properly so that the planet carrier would drop into the annulus..

So position does matter!

Ed Woods