[Healeys] Blown exhaust gaskets redux

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Apr 18 18:58:51 MDT 2010

I think I've finally isolated the original cause of a series of blown
exhaust flange gaskets: two of the three studs on one manifold were weak
and would not hold tension.  I finally ended up stripping them while
trying to apply a reasonable torqe (20 ft-lbs).  Anyway, I managed to
extract the studs and tried installing 3 new ones I happened to have and
all of them stripped!  I didn't like the looks of them before I put them
in--they looked to be of a very light and soft steel (and they were a
good 1/8" longer--makes getting the downpipes off and on even more
difficult).  They were from Moss.

Anyone have a good source for solid, heavy steel studs?  I see Moss has
a stainless kit--anyone tried those?  I don't believe that stainless is
necessarily stronger--in fact, it may be more brittle--but maybe they're
better made.  'Standard' studs--the kind you can get at the hardware
store--are coarse thread on one end and fine on the other.  I need fine
on both ends.

Thanks for listening.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net