[Healeys] CA black plates and registration decals

R. Cobb rcobb at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 16 11:37:43 MDT 2010

The ZYZ xxx black CA plate was issued mid-1969.  I purchased a new car
in CA in April, 1969, and received ZFY xxx.  They were just about to run
out of combinations at this point and as I recall the next ones issued
were with three numbers, then three letters.  That new grouping lasted
about a decade, and then it became a number, three letters and three
numbers.

Regarding YOM, I can understand how old black plates become available to
purchase, but how can there be old, unused annual self-adhesive
registration stickers in any useful quantity, since most would have been
used at the time of issue?

Bob