[Healeys] Black Lic Plate expeirnce - CA Law / DMV - Part 1.

Robert Blair rnbmail at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 15 20:02:12 MDT 2010

Liters, Thought the CA folks may be interested in my recent experience of
converting from current white CA plates to period CA black plates.

The CA DMV law changed in 2009 - allowing 63 to 69 year of manufacture and
orginally registered vehicles [YOM} that have subsequently been
sold/converted/et al to blue or white plates to go back to CA period black
plates - PROVIDING the black plate is NOT in use and NOT on the CA DMV
computer system.  There is an 800 number to call the DMV and confirm is a
given plate number is available for use / ie NOT in use now on their
computer.

You MUST have a pair of plates [of course] AND an original sticker for the YOM
of the car - not a repro sticker.  63 cars need no sticker as 63 is embossed
in the plate.  64 care require a 64 sticker, and so on up to 69.  The plates
can be restored but must apprear original in color and finish.  They inspect
them.

I liked this idea, so I set out to change my 65 Healey from a vanity white
plate [65AHLY] which I will keep for now, to a period black plate.  Here is
what I did, and how it went ....

1.  Talked to some folks on the net and got the skinney on the DMV vehicle
code, and their experience to date.
2.  Went to ebay and purchased a pair of decent condition CA yellow on black 6
character plates.  You MUST have a pair, and they MUST be original.  Must NOT
be perfect - just clear and readable.
3.  Went to ebay and purchased an original 65 sticker for my 65 registered
Healey.  Same guy as had the plates luckily.
4.  Took the 2 plates with the sticker attached to the local CA DMV, together
with my DMV registration, and check book.  Did not take the car or the white
plates.
Read on in Part2, as this is long and may get truncated .........

Robert N. Blair  Yellow 65BJ8  rnbmail at yahoo.com