[Healeys] brake switch

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 03:34:43 MDT 2010

Hi All -

I have a slightly different opinion here, but I have always found replacing
the brake light pressure switch to be easy and cheap (and I've never had to
return one for being bad).

British cars are designed to where this switch can be replaced without
having to bleed the brakes - if you just swap the bad one out for a good one
quickly.  The switches are located on a three way or four way junction very
low on the chassis for this very reason.  Once replaced, the switches
activate at the earliest touch of pressure.

I guess my view is it's less trouble to keep the original.... and rigging up
a mechanical switch may suffer from the law of unintended consequences.
 That being said, I understand the desire to replace these switches with a
mechanical one, but the hydraulic ones seem to work just fine, they just
need to be replaced every couple of decades like anything.

Alan

'52 A90
'53 BN1
'59 Jag Mk IX