[Healeys] Transmission removal

Peter Schauss rpschauss at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 13:03:20 MDT 2010

I followed the instructions in the shop manual.  Here is a quick overview:

0.  Drain the oil from the gearbox.
1.  From underneath the car, disconnect the back end of the hand brake cable.
2.  Remove both front seats, the center console, and anything else in
the interior which you think
will get in your way.
3.  Remove the gearshift knob and boot.
4.  Remove the fiberglass gearbox cover.
5.  Unhook the drive shaft from the rear of the gearbox.  (I cannot
remember if I unbolted it from the
differential, but you may find that you have to.)
6.  Disconnect the rear gearbox mounts.
7.  Support the back of the motor with a jack and put another jack
under the gearbox.
8.  Take off the starter and undo the remaining bolts which hold the
gearbox to the motor.  Note that
two of the bolts are special dowel bolts which insure that the gearbox
lines up properly with the
flywheel.  Note which holes they came out of.
9.  Unbolt the clutch slave cylinder and let it hang out of the way.
10. With the two jacks, raise the motor and gearbox a bit.
11. Working inside of the car, pull the gearbox toward the rear untill
the first motion shaft
clears the splines in the clutch disk.  You will have to rotate the
gearbox on its fore-aft axis
so that the bell housing clears the firewall.
12. Once the gearbox is free, point the first motion shaft toward the
passenger's footwell and pull
it forward until the rear flange clears the driveshaft tunnel.

I am sure that I have left something out since it has been about 9
years since I did this last.

HTH,
Peter Schauss
1963 BJ7

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 1:22 PM, edic <edic at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Healey folks,
>

> I am going to remove the transmission in my BJ8 to replace an oil seal, and
> since this is the first time to remove it with the engine in place I need
some
> advice. Is there a web site that I can go to that covers this operation?
One