[Healeys] Previous owner of HBT7L/7554?

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Thu Apr 1 21:48:28 MST 2010

The British Motor Industry Heritage Trust records and their Heritage
certificates are generally useless for tracing the ownership history of a
car.  From the evidence of 679 certificates in the BJ8 registry files, the
only ones that identify (sometimes) the original dealer's name are the ones
for UK Home market cars.  I have never seen a certificate for a car
delivered to the USA that gives a dealer's name.  The city identified on the
certs is not necessarily the city where the car first sold new, but only the
Port of Entry.  From there, a car could have been trucked anywhere for its
first sale.  My BJ8 was delivered to Charleston, South Carolina but sold new
in Raleigh, North Carolina -- another state and 300 miles away from
Charleston.
Certificates for cars that were "Personal Export Delivery" sometimes give
the original owner's name.

It's getting harder to trace the history of a car due to the mobility of the
population, combined with the fact that there is no central location for
documenting and preserving the ownership history of a car except the
registries.  Anyone who wants some future owner of his car to know he
existed and had the pleasure of owning the car should enter the car into the
appropriate registry.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry