[Healeys] First Time in Winter!

Tom Felts tomfelts at windstream.net
Tue Sep 29 07:33:33 MDT 2009

What do they use then?

Tom
---- Bob Brown <blkbt7 at yahoo.com> wrote:

=============
Jeff,
Illinois does use salt on the roads. Mirek's comments are all
appropriate for
winter storage in IL. I now have a heated garade so thinks
have simplified.
BUt before that I did just as Mirek, antifreeze, usually
removed battery,
sometimes I put moth balls (hard on the moths) in the car to
deter rodents.
I never did take the seats out as suggested.
Bob
Midwest
Region AHC

________________________________
From: Mirek Sharp
m.g.sharp at sympatico.ca

Regarding car preservation, first find out if they
use salt as road de-icer
in your part of Illinois.  If they do, the first
application signifies the
end of the driving season if you intend on
maintaining the car in its
unrestored state.  The beginning of the season, for
me at least, starts
after the snow has gone and the first really heavy rain
has washed away the
salt (into the lakes and rivers where it does all kinds of
damage).
I used to do a lot of winterizing each fall, putting the car on
blocks,
adding additives to the gas - I can't even recall the routine because
stopped doing it so long ago I cannot remember.  If your storage has a
potential rodent problem, you may want to remove those yummy leather seats,
or
put a rodent repellant in the car (I have heard that a dish of cloves
works
well - can anyone confirm?).  I had a mouse build a nest in the duct
to the
heater blower once - for years could not figure out why I got so
little out of
it.  I highly, highly recommend a garage for storage, heated
if possible (mine
is not, but it is in the near future).  If you do not have
a garage, them look
for some storage somewhere close.  Decide if you want
the hood or tonneau on
or off because it is bear to do when it is 10-15
below zero - the material
goes stiff as a board.  Make sure your coolant has
adequate anti-freeze to
cope with the coldest weather plus a safety margin.
Also, there are various
theories regarding the battery.  Some years I remove
it and periodically
trickle charge it through the winter -  a battery tender
might be a better
choice.  However, most years I leave it in the car and
charge it in the spring
with no apparent negative repercussions.
Healeys at autox.team.net