[Healeys] Concours and heat insulation

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Tue Sep 29 03:40:55 MDT 2009

In a message dated 9/26/09 11:06:42 AM, healeys-request at autox.team.net
writes:

> Well, that's why I was asking. There are Concours restorations and
> then there are Driver restorations. It's always good to have in mind
> before you start which endpoint you want.
>
> Jody
>
> On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 10:06 AM, F Ronald Rader
> <f.ronald.rader at gmail.com> wrote:
> > HOW EVER YOU WILL HAVE A WAY MORE FUNCTIONAL CAR.
> >  ron rader
> >
> > On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 2:10 AM, Sales at " Just Brits "
> > <sales at justbrits.com> wrote:
> >> << If you're building a concours car will you be detracted for adding
> >> these sorts of things?
> >>
> >> Will someone check?>>

Sorry if I'm late in responding to this post. The only portion of the
carpet/underlay that is possible for a concours judge to check is the pad on
the
floor in front of the seats, which had a jute underlay between the carpet
and the "tarpaper" (roofing felt), with the underlay held in place by the
snaps in the carpeting. Everywhere else in the passenger compartment, the
underlay (about 3/8 inch thick) was completely covered by carpeting, which was
glued down. So on all the vertical surfaces (especially the footwells and rear
bulkhead) you can put in modern insulation without offending concours judges
or losing points. You can replace the jute pads under the front carpets
with modern material pads when you're not on show -- you need to keep the
carpets loose with snaps anyhow, so you can remove them to dry them out. You
can
also put insulation on the inside of the tranny tunnel, or purchase/make an
insulating mat that replaces the fibre mat between the tranny tunnel and
carpet when you're not on show. And it's not possible to check what you have
under the floor, so all models can get the benefit of the insulation that was
installed on BJ8s between the exhaust pipe/muffler and the floor.
Contrary to what Ed thinks, there aren't a lot of compromises that need to
be made to go full concours, though building a concours car does require a
lot of attention to details that, while they don't make the car less usable,
don't necessarily help make it more usable (e.g. correct clips, bolts, and
fasteners).
Gary