[Healeys] Insulation Recommendations

HealeyRick healeyrick at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 24 18:19:30 MDT 2009

Carlos,

Here's a post I made on BCF a little while ago:

"Since I'm swapping a small block Ford into my BJ-7. this is a topic of
particular interest and I''ve done a lot of research. There are
different ways
of doing this, some more expensive than others and some
less noticeable.
First, and cheapest, is to plug up all the holes in
the firewall. Shine a drop
light in the engine compartment and from the
inside of the car, plug up with
dum-dum, foam, etc, anywhere you can
see light.
 If you are doing a ground up restoration, a ceramic
insulating paint like
LizardSkin in the firewall and floor areas seems
effective, although it wont
give you a concours correct finish. If you
want to save a few bucks, adding
micro baloons to your primer is a good
alternative. Check this thread: lizard
skin alternatives

Ceramic insulation of the exhaust header, downpipes and muffler will
also pay
off. Although most folks seem to go with JetHot coating, it
seems SwainTech's
(swaintech.com) White Lightning coating will give a
greater reduction in
underhood temp.
 Next comes some type of
insulation in the interior and you can spend a bunch
of money on this
depending how much you want to spend on noise reduction and
heat
reduction. Tsikuris
classics sells a nice pre cut Kool Mat kit   kool mat but it's kind of spendy.
Kit Car Cobra guys seem to like the variety of products from   second skin
Or, if you want to go the cheap route, try products like FrostKing   frost
king or Rflectix from the big box home improvement store."

I'm
going with the microbaloons into some PPG DP40 primer as a base on the
floors, footboxes and firewall.  I'll use some Reflectix bubble
insulation
from Home Depot or Lowe's for the firewall and some of the
self-sticking
Frostking insulation from HD or Lowe's for the interior.
If that's not
enough, I'll go for some of the neoprene carpet underlay
from Secondskin.  I
really think that Dynamat is a better sound
insulator than a heat insulator.
My feeling is the Home Depot/Lowe's
products may not be quite as effective as
the proprietal products, but
they are close enough that the extra expense
probably isn't worthwhile.