[Healeys] Electric Cooling Fan

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Thu Sep 24 05:52:55 MDT 2009

I would just add that before going to a lot of trouble and expense to cure a
cooling problem that you make sure your temp gauge is accurate.  Also, a
160, or 180, or 195 thermostat makes no difference to the final temperature
of the coolant, which is dependent only on the capacity of the cooling
system (including how clean it is and the efficiency of the radiator) and
the ambient conditions.  Different thermostats only influence the
temperature of the coolant at the low end of the scale, such as in winter.
My experience was the same as Mike Salter's:  no thermostat, or one that
opens fully at too low a temperature will just allow the car to run cold in
the winter and will have no effect in summer.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA