[Healeys] new healey

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Wed Sep 23 11:01:05 MDT 2009

Andy,

I hold another view. It is hard to improve upon the shape of one of the
most beautifull sportscars ever made, so don't. However you can improve
a lot under the skin to make it a more modern and better driving machine
and add a bit of luxury. The original Healey had the perfect shape but
was by no means perfect: brakes, springs/dampers, steering, engine, to
name a few. OK I conceede, it is the original driving experience that
counts. Don't kill me.
I know that these GRP cars can lack quite a lot on finish but the HMC I
have seen a few years ago (without the flared wheelarches I think) was
very well finished in comparison with the Sebring. Nice seats, nice dash
The engine is not just any V8. The Rover engine is quite a nice piece of
kit (although a bit outdated by now) and weighs a lot less than the
original heavy lump of cast iron and could have been an excellent choice
for the Healey, similar to the MGB GT V8 compared with the MGC.
It is also used fairly often to replace the Lotus engine in the Jensen
Healey, they weigh more or less the same, and when executed properly it
makes a very nice car.

The alternative would be building a faithfull copy like the Bugatti's
built in Argentina or the Big Bentley's, not my cup of thea.
New Mini (BMW), new Beetle (Golf) I regard as caricatures, the new Fiat
500 (Panda) a bit less so.

Cheers,
Kees Oudesluijs