[Healeys] seat adjustments for 6'3" 230 lb healey lover bj8

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 07:28:41 MDT 2009

Bill -

A few suggestions:

1) Get a 15" steering wheel, either a motolita or preferably a derrington.
The smaller steering wheel will give more space for you to get your legs in
and out.

2) If no one else drives your car, remove the seat slides under the driver's
seat and bolt the seat straight to the floor, this will give you alot more
room than you think... it will be substantial and for a tall guy like you,
you will sit lower in the car.

3) Get a 1" thick piece of oak and cut a wedge for the whole length (i.e. 1"
height in front, and wedge in the back - shaped like a super long door
stop), and use it as a spacer (instead of the standard flat seat slide
spacer) to wedge up the front of your seat about 1", angled back.  It will
make the seat much more comfortable to sit in, especially if you are tall or
big.

4) Consider using a hole saw to cut some foam holes out of the bottom of
your seat cushion - this will lower you even further, giving lots of space
between your legs and the steering wheel.

I have done all of these things and it makes a huge difference, cars are far
more fun to drive like this (if you are tall).  I'm 6'1".

Alan

'52 A90
'53 BN1
'64 BJ8