[Healeys] Fw: RE: Bonneville Healeys

Bob Haskell rchaskell at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 21 18:10:48 MDT 2009

Keith,

The endurance car: 127
The streamliner: 149 (150 limit) in fourth gear - five speed box.

The streamliner and the push truck didn't have the typical arrangement
of a board mounted the push truck and a wheel on the car.  There were
just wood blocks attached to steel struts on either side of the
parachute that were suppose to align up with the bumper - on either side
of the license plate.  During the last attempt, the streamliner got
turned around.

Melanie and I had a great time.  Was nice to meet some of the folks on
this list (Ken Freese, Joe Jarick, Tracy Drummond, Ray Juncal etc).  I
was really impressed at the effort the Healey team made to make us
spectators feel welcome.  Free tee shirts and other regalia for sale, a
barbecue dinner with a question and answer session with the team and Roy
Jackson-Moore (a driver in 1954) and Gordon Whitby ('BMC' mechanic for
various events on the flats), an autograph session, photo op with folks
sitting in the streamliner, and demonstration runs of the endurance car
at the local airport (after Wednesday's running was canceled due to the
salt flats being too wet).  Everyone willing to talk and pose for
photographs.  For the first time on the salt, I thought the team did a
damn good job.

Keith - when are you going to try one of the powered streetluges?  Now
that's nuts.

Bob