[Healeys] The mystery of the 100-6 Wheels

Ed Woods fogbro1 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 18 14:44:02 MDT 2009

List,

It might be recalled that I measured 4.5" bolt centers on the steel rear
wheels of my newly acquired BN6. They are supposed to be at 5" centers as I
learned from this List. That mystery was solved when I removed the r/r wheel
to discover a 5 bolt, 5" to 4.5" adapter.
At that time I still beloved the car originally had steel wheels, not wires.

Yesterday, I removed the r/f wheel. It too has a 5 bolt pattern on a 4.5" B.C.
Beneath it I found another adapter, only this time it was designed to adapt
the 4 stud, 4.5" B.C. Healey pattern to  a 5 stud, 4.5" wheel. Protruding thru
the center is a spline which extends to the grease cup. I'd seen the spline
earlier, but it didn't register that someone had cut the original Healey
splined hub so that it didn't protrude beyond the after market steel wheel.

So now I've come to believe that this car was originally furnished with wire
wheels and that someone had gone to great lengths to fit steel wheel to it,
wheels with a 5 bolt pattern at a 4.5" bolt circle.

Anyone got a good, used set of splined hubs for a BN6 for sale?

Ed Woods