[Healeys] Overdrive relay

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Wed Sep 16 18:39:03 MDT 2009

Peter, I have adjusted the throttle switch several times over the years
using a test light and the procedure in the shop manual.  It has always been
quick and simple.  This time, I am unable to get the test light to stay on
when I turn off the dash switch, as it should.  Doesn't matter how carefully
and how much (or how little) I rotate the slotted shaft, the light goes off
when I turn off the dash switch.  So, I put a jumper wire across the
throttle switch terminals to simulate a "closed" throttle switch.  Didn't
matter, the light still goes off when I turn off the dash switch.

The overdrive system was working fine until it suddenly refused to shift
into overdrive during a local drive.  I noted that my warning light above
the dash switch would go off with the dash switch, whereas it always stayed
on (as it should) until I touched the accelerator pedal.  If it was the
throttle switch, I would expect that it would require only a slight
adjustment to bring it back into line, but I could never find that point.  A
new relay didn't change the problem at all.  I don't have a spare throttle
switch, but don't understand why jumping its terminals doesn't cause the
relay to "latch" when the dash switch is turned on.

We are heading west for Southeastern Healey Classic in the morning without
overdrive, but I'll be back to troubleshooting the problem when we return.

Steve