[Healeys] Stripped shock mount nut

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Sep 13 09:18:10 MDT 2009

re: "I know racers and aviation don't trust lockwashers"

Neither did Carroll Smith.  I think with aircraft the issue is that if for some
reason the fastener loosens with a lockwasher, it'll eventually come loose.
Safety wiring all but prevents that from happening.  Also, the point of properly
torquing a bolt is to apply the correct tension by stretching the bolt; if you
use a lockwasher that may not be possible (AFAIK, safety wiring is not meant to
keep tension on the fastener, just to keep parts from coming apart).

That said, I think lockwashers have their place.  For instance, I began using
hardened flatwashers with locktite on aluminum parts, like the shock mounts (I
know, the shock bodies are a "dirty" Al/Zn compound).   However, when I tried
that on the rear shock mounts the bolts would loosen without a lockwasher under
the nut.

Note that safety wiring is a skill; aircraft mechanics spend quite a bit of time
learning how to do it properly (see: FAA AC43-13).  I suspect most shadetree
mechanics aren't quite as well trained.

bs

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net