[Healeys] Stripped shock mount nut

Steve B. Gerow steveg at abrazosdata.com
Sun Sep 13 08:21:54 MDT 2009

Richard Mayor wrote:

>Belleville washers are not going to help keep shock bolts tight. Proper
>tightening, using flat washers, will do the trick.

With respect, when the bolts are torqued down, the belleville washers _are_ flat washers. Though the wikipedia article
doesn't talk about them much as lockwashers, they're used extensively in Alfas as lockwashers and that's why I started
using them against aluminum surfaces in the Healey. None of my 3 Alfas ever used a split-ring lock washer on an
aluminum surface, as Healeys do.

FWIW - air cooled VWs use wave washers a lot on the engine - I wonder if they act differently from bellevilles.

I know racers and aviation don't trust lockwashers - undoubtedly with good reason, but they seem to work pretty well
on everyday cars.

--
Steve Gerow
BN6