[Healeys] Electrical problems

Kenny J theswed at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 12 20:34:23 MDT 2009

I decided to go on a drive in my Healey yesterday that wandered further than
the normal 100 mile radius (AAA tow distance) from my home. In fact, I drove
nearly 500 miles from home, up the CA coast, and into southern OR.  Last
night, after driving approximately 400 miles, I turned on my headlights due to
heavy fog.  I drove approx 100 more miles and ended up in Brookings, OR. I
stopped at a local hotel for the evening.  After checking in, I returned to my
car and it wouldn't start.  The battery was dead and just got a clicking from
the starter.  I push started it and parked it for the night.

This morning, after push starting it again, I drove approximately 20 miles and
the car died.  I confirmed the wires were connected to the terminals of the
generator.  I noticed the electrical terminals on the generator had engine
paint on them (from painting the generator).  I cleaned the two terminals of
the paint.  I started the car and disconnected the battery to see if the car
would keep running.  It did.  However, when I turned on the headlights the car
immediately died. I turned off the lights and drove about 50 miles with no
problems.  I turned off the ignition and 10 minutes later it started normally
(still without lights).

It seems the lights (and/or any other accessory) is draining the battery too
much.  The battery is new which was installed a couple months ago.  Any
suggestions/comments?

Kenny

61 BT7