[Healeys] Stripped shock mount nut

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Sep 12 12:18:31 MDT 2009

Sounds reasonable.  Split lockwashers gouge into the aluminum casting, thus
relieving some of the tension on the bolt.  Belleville washers make more
sense--if they're a larger diameter you're also applying more clamping force,
just like a hardened flatwashwer.  The spring load would keep tension on the
bolt, keeping it from loosening (like the locktite).

My objection to drilling out the shock mounting holes for oversized bolts is
that you're removing metal from the already crack-prone mounting flange.

bs

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net