[Healeys] Exhaust system advice needed

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Fri Sep 11 02:27:01 MDT 2009

If it is a properly designed freeflow exhaust you may. What I wanted to
get accros is that the surface area of the exhaust opening being smaller
than that of the carbs does not say anything. The speed of the exhaust
gasses passing is a lot higher than on the carb side so you cannot
compare. Similarly the exhaust valves are smaller than the inlet valves.
A stock engine needs a certain amount of back pressure and resonance. If
you reduce the back pressure to zilch it will not function properly
without other mods to at least valve timing, carburation and ignition curve.
I have done enough tuning in my time on a dyno on many engines to have
found out.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL