[Healeys] IS Bigger exhaust better

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Thu Sep 10 14:43:36 MDT 2009

In a message dated 9/10/09 11:08:18 AM, healeys-request at autox.team.net
writes:

> I'm pretty sure that in the case of a factory Healey, the added flow
> is going to give an increase in performance as the stock system--BN4-
> BJ7--is smaller than the opening allowed by the carbs.
>
> Wilko

The only way to tell (and the only way to be sure) is to
measure/tune/re-measure the car on a chassis dyno ("rolling road" to our European friends). My
bet is you'd get a few horsepower just by checking how your timing advance
and carb tuning is set, and then with the bigger exhaust you're bound to get
a few extra hp past that, just because the system was originally
exhaust-constricted.
But there's no substitute for dyno tuning when making significant changes
to intake, ignition, or exhaust.

Best
Gary