[Healeys] Wolesley 1500 brake bleed saga and question (No Healey content)

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Tue Sep 8 07:01:22 MDT 2009

Dave,
I know the specific clamps, but even so do not use them in my opinion.
You always overstretch the material as the hoses were not designed to
take that kind of  maltreatment. Even if everything looks fine on the
outside, internal damage and subsequent blockage is possible.
Old and hard lines do hardly occur here anymore as the Dutch MOT man
will instantly fail the car.
To check on brake hydraulical problems take of the brake drums and
inspect the cilinders for leaks/corrosion/stuck and rectify if needed,
reassemble and adjust the brakes. Similarly check the brake calipers and
rectify if applicable. It is the only proper method and the first thing
to do if anything is amiss. If all is OK and the brake pedal still goes
down slowly when pushed without obvious brake fluid loss, inspect and
rectify the MBC. This is of course assuming no leaking pipes and hoses
which will be evident on proper inspection.
Do not take chances with your brakes, steering and suspension.
Cheers,
Kees Oudesluijs
NL