[Healeys] Different Carb Problems

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Fri Sep 4 12:05:57 MDT 2009

Are the needles/jets set for mixture? Is the float level correct? What
oil is used in the damper pots and is the oil level correct? Do the
pistons of the SU's move up and down symultaniously when you look at
them with the air filter(s) removed?
It sounds like a mixture (lean) problem. This can indicate worn/leaking
butterfly spindles, low float level, sticking pistons in carbs, mixture
setting to weak.The needles could be wrong but they would not give such
a dramatic effect.
Use ATF or 3in1 oil in the dampers and fill up to the level that when
you put the dampers back in, resistance starts with ca. 5mm between top
of dashpot and bottom of  the black top.
Make sure that the pistons move freely in the dashpots by ensuring the
inside is spotlesly clean. Also make sure that the needles can move in
the jets without touching them by centralising the jets/needles. When
you lift the pistons and release them they shoul come down with a very
clear click (with the dampers out).
You say they were balanced for vacuum, but did you set the tappets and
the ignition first? These should be set correctly before you can
succesfully tune the carbs.
Kees Oudesluijs