[Healeys] Oil Change Frequency

Richard Ewald richard.ewald at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 19:44:54 MST 2009

The only maintenance for the PCV system on the cars I work on is

Wait for it

Are you ready for this?

Changing the oil.
The systems are engineered into the design of the engine and have no
serviceable parts.  Assuming the owner changes the oil, they don't need
service.  Extend the oil change intervals too far and the system gets
clogged from burnt oil vapors which build up and plug the entire system.
When this happens, the entire system has to be changed.  In extreme cases,
the oil pan has to come off to clean the passages inside the block.

The change over from leaded gas happened in 1975, sludging is a problem that
cropped up in the last 3-5 years.  Sludging is not related to leaded gas in
the least.  Last I heard it was more of a cold weather issue, than a warm
weather issue (I'm In Los Angeles, so I don't follow the cold weather stuff
to closely)  Do a Google search on Toyota +sludge if you want to learn more.
Rick