[Healeys] Smell

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed Oct 14 10:31:53 MDT 2009

Right. I think the PCV valve pulls a slight vacuum in the valve cover which helps offset this (although the PCV valve is closed when the throttle plates are). Not sure why, to tell the truth, but the smoking definitely diminished after I installed the PCV valve. I test after I've pulled a long downhill run with the throttles closed then hit the gas--used to get a plume of blue/black smoke, now I get just a puff (highly scientific methodology).

I don't think my valves or guides are worn, but the seals might be.

bs

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA

Blue smoke during changing gears usually means worn valve stems/guides.
Not really a lot of oil is burnt. When the butterfly valves of the carbs
close during changing gears you draw a vacuum in the inlet manifold,
which will draw in a bit of oil along the valve stems.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL